Goal of this talk
To help you to think about and reconsider:
- how the software is being made
- the importance of focusing on the SMO sector
- learn about big corps enterprise architecture thing
- propose the new way of conceive, construct, deploy and use
of software based solutions
FLOSS, Free Libre Open Source Software, SMO, Small & Medium
Standardized Organizational Operating System, EA,
More than 10 years of deep involving in Linux world:
- understanding how it works
- studying what it is
- comparing with the daily real work with IT
- creating, spreading and developing community
Conclusion: we (all, FLOSS and proprietary communities) are doing
SMO stands for Small & Medium Organization, which includes:
- Small & Medium Enterprises, SME
- Non Government Organizations, NGO
SMO means more than 90% of employment and
economy production in probably all countries (this is proved for the
The importance of SMO
Definition of SME: economical unit with juridic or phisical identity
- less than 250 employees
- less than 40 million € of annual business
- not participated in 25% or more of their capital by a non
from the Comision of the European Union of 1.996/04/03
Some other numbers:
- 23 millions of SMEs in The European Union, 99% of the total
- 3 millions of SMEs only in Spain.
- 75 millions of workers in SMEs in the EU
Fernández Olmos, El País
FLOSS stands for Free Libre Open Source Software
Understanding FLOSS as the most powerful economic system of
knowledge production in History:
According to the Rey Juan
Carlos University (Madrid): the full programing of a linux
distribution can be estimated in more
than 3 billion of US dollars.
Rationale: competitivity problems of SMO
- Very small critic mass to influence in open world markets
- limited resources (mainly economical) to afford risks for
- atomization of the sector
- very small lobby force to influence regulation and
- organizational friction: high penalties in interopering
- internal performing:
- low organic maturity: between 0 and 1 (reference CMMI)
- low efficacious: low ability to reach internal goals
- low efficiency: low economy in reaching internal goals
Rationale: the software crisis
The software commercialization model generates innefficiencies:
- software is knowledge -> knowledge can't differentiate:
example, choose your alphabet:
- McDonalds' alphabet
- Burger King's alphabet
- Software marketing tends to monopoly (knowledge can be
monopolized by a company?)
- Software development is still in very «low level» of
- Software platforms:
- the most standardable is fully closed: Microsoft Windows
- there are not a clear convergence/standardization on
- most of technology platforms are outdated in some
Some conclusions for the SMO
- SMO sector needs empowership for competing in the global
market where big corporations develops nicely
- There is a need for reengineer all the solution providing
channel for the SMO.
The proposal as strategy: Standardized Organizational
Operating System, SOOS
solution, open, convergent, standardized, compound by processes fully
specified + a technology platform + self-learning mechanisms all in an
open sourced and massive distribution.»
Reference: Full definition of the SOOS
Detailing SOOS (1)
- A solution
is compound of people, processes and technology
- Organizational development is about performing, development
effectivity of human organization. An organization is two or more
persons with one or more common goals.
- in the sense of «systems theory», open to externals
energy flows (in the most abstract sense).
- aim to convergence with existing solutions in order to
reduce complexity (see Tainter)
of the election.
Detailing SOOS (2)
- Full support and vocation of adopting standards, in the
open sense proposed by Ken
Kretchmer and the European Interoperability Framework.
- From ISO 9000:2000 a process is a: set of
activities mutually related or interacting, which transforms inputs
items into results.
- fully specified
- as procedures, as in ISO 9000:2000: specified
way to carry out an activity or process.
- technology platform:
says: the combination of a particular computer and
a particular operating system.
Detailing SOOS (3)
- self-learning mechanisms
- meaning the mechanisms to explore the knowledge and the
know-how from the abstract high level to the gory details for learning
with the minimal operation costs.
- open sourced
- for example in the sense of Open Source Initiative
- able to be popularized and distributed for the SMO sector,
applying the Pareto
Principle (rule of 80-20) to be commoditized.
SOOS solutions are based on open systems
- Internet and web
- Reengineering of the
- The commodities
- The utilities
- Intel architecture and
processors and the PC
- FLOSS, open economies
What should be a SOOS solution
For the people:
mechanisms for self learning, the «teaching applications»
- Processes: FLOSS SMO EA
- Personal Interface for
the Information Society + FLOSS network software platform
SOOS adoption will be able to
- simplify the vertical and horizontal interoperability needs
in the digital society.
- Structures the Age of Participation, coined by Sun's Scott McNeally.
- Fix the software inefficiencies.
- Fix the organizational inefficiencies.
- Empower de small and medium actors and sectors.
- Empower the so called development countries (for the XX
thinking) into advanced countries (for the XXI rethinking
The SOOS strategy align
processes, technologies and corporate «culture» solving the
Robert Solow's IT Productivity Paradox: «We see
everywhere except in the productivity statistics.»
Enterprise Architecture Terminology
- An "Enterprise" is a
business association consisting of a recognized set of interacting
provides the underlying framework.
Players in the Enterprise Architecture framework
Source: SOA Consortium «Enterprise
- Someone who has undertaken to do business in a particular
- Business people who run the organization.
- Systems analyst who wants to represent the business in a
- Designer, who applies specific technologies to solve the
problems of the business.
- Builder of the system.
- System itself.
Information Categories in the EA
Source: SOA Consortium «Enterprise
- The data manipulated by an organization (what).
- Its functions and processes (how).
- Locations where business is conducted (where).
- Events that trigger business activities (when).
- People and organizations involved (who).
- Motivations and constraints which determine how the
business behaves (why).
The Zachman's Enterprise Architecture Framework
of the Business
of the Information System
Trends in EA
are at the end of a generation of work in enterprise architecture. What
we need now is a new type of architecture
that enables enterprise-to-enterprise collaboration at a level of
processing capability that we have never seen before.»
Gartner on Enterprise
Architecture Special Report
Source: SOA Consortium «Enterprise
- Technology Focused
- Governance &
- Early Advocates of SOA
- Business &
- Value Generation
- Architect for Business Agility
FLOSS SMO Enterprise Architecture
The FLOSS SMO EA should be a
organizational open sourced corpora of process and procedures build as
enterprise architecture (as Zachman's
one) of reference for the
- business direction assistance,
- implementation of
value chain or value network processes
- design, implementation,
deployment and outsourcing of IT services.
Including the best practices
on CRM, HRM, quality management (ISO 9000, EFQM, Toyota Lean),
environmental, law enforcement, organization collaboration and
Deliverables will be aligned with the «SOOS» and «executable
enterprise» concepts and able to be treated or extended to
What the «executable enterprise» is
A business engine able of «running» modelled enterprise architectures
being used as «teaching applications» through a full featured interface
(the personal interface for the IS).
What «teaching applications» are
New way to conceive and use the software solutions:
- «The software application is the book»
- «The book is the software tool»
The state of art provides most of the methodologies
and tools to support the learning and acquisition of solutions build on
business process modeled knowledge so knowledge could be
equally used as
«a software solution» or as «digital enciclopædia», and managed in the
user side with native hardware/software interface integration.
What the personal interface for the Information
An object oriented / service
based / semantic powered graphical user interface with
- full support of
- personal memory/knowledge,
- coordination between mobile
devices and fixed and remotes ones,
- Fortune 500 companies have learned the lesson (source Gartner)
and they, again, innoves in efficiency: they generate the know how.
- FLOSS and academic practices fully demonstrated their
generate millions of dollar of reusable knowledge and technology
- Infrastructure is affordable: x86 computers and Internet
- The most important capital is the people and their minds:
are highly skilled available across all the countries of the world
- Is easier to build new organizational solutions than
fighting the market of software solutions.
- You can.
Implications for the future
- The need to an «open Microsoft» platform.
- The need to open a «Microsoft like» distribution and value
- The need for a new open model of innovation, not only for
- similar to the open academic research model
- able to commoditize solutions for the SMO:more than 90%
of world population and economy.
the reengineering of the development
concept for the historical challenge of the Digital Revolution
and the changes of the XXI
The rising of a new paradigm?
This is the born of a new approach to manage solutions?
Time will say